Sprial Fracture Fibula above ankle
I broke my Fibula (sprial fracture) above the ankle on Feb 8/09 - I fell on an icy sidewalk.  The break didn't require surgery and  I was in a plaster cast from the knee to toes for the first 4 weeks followed by an air cast at the start of week 5.  This is now week 6 and I have started to put weight on the foot and have been surprised at the lack of pain I feel where the break was.  I do however feel sharp pains in the ankle on the opposite side of where the break is.  My orthopaedic surgeon has never mentioned any issues or concerns with this ankle so I was surprised to feel the pain upon weightbearing.  Both ankles are still swollen and I am badly bruised on the leg where the break happened; most of my foot is also swollen but has little bruising now.

Could the ankle pain and foot swelling be a result of an ankle sprain that also occured with the break?  

Winsdale