Orthopedics Community
Sprial Fracture Fibula above ankle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Sprial Fracture Fibula above ankle

I broke my Fibula (sprial fracture) above the ankle on Feb 8/09 - I fell on an icy sidewalk.  The break didn't require surgery and  I was in a plaster cast from the knee to toes for the first 4 weeks followed by an air cast at the start of week 5.  This is now week 6 and I have started to put weight on the foot and have been surprised at the lack of pain I feel where the break was.  I do however feel sharp pains in the ankle on the opposite side of where the break is.  My orthopaedic surgeon has never mentioned any issues or concerns with this ankle so I was surprised to feel the pain upon weightbearing.  Both ankles are still swollen and I am badly bruised on the leg where the break happened; most of my foot is also swollen but has little bruising now.

Could the ankle pain and foot swelling be a result of an ankle sprain that also occured with the break?  

Winsdale