Orthopedics Community
Stiffness in Thumb

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Stiffness in Thumb

I never had any problem with thumb until 2 weeks ago - I woke up and it was visably swolen and stiff.  It seems to be getting worst - very stiff in morning and painful to bend.  Thought it might be carpal tunnel and have been wearing brace to bed at night and to work all day (Use computer at work).   Would these be symptoms of carpal tunnel and does it just happen without any warning?  How should I treat it?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
No, they cannot occur suddenly. You would have weakness in your thumb before.
You might have twisted your thumb while sleeping and due to some tendon pull and muscle inflammation you are facing these symptoms.
Take some anti inflammatory drugs, rest your thumb and you would be fine, if not you have to go to an orthopaedician for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Take care!