Orthopedics Community
Stryker recall and other problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Stryker recall and other problems

My orthopedic surgeon uses one of the Stryker acetabular components that were recalled this year. There have been numerous issues with Stryker, all factual info readily found by internet searches, including three FDA warning letters (search FDA.gov), the latest one in May 2008:  http://www.fda.gov/foi/warning_letters/s6760c.htm
I've done my best to become informed on hip replacements, e.g. the choices of materials and methods used and have discussed these things with my surgeon to come up with the best plan for me. But in the process I also learned about the recalls, the deals manufacturers have made with surgeons, the AAOS letter to help cover it, etc.  I am scheduled for hip replacement surgery soon. I voiced my concerns to my surgeon (who is very highly regarded), who downplayed the Stryker problems. So now I'm looking for perspectives from other surgeons on the matter. How would you proceed if your spouse, or a parent, or you yourself needed a hip replacement ?  
  • sis123 (1 replies):
    I would like to know why doctors do not tell you that yo...[more]
  • Labral Tear (3 replies):
    I have had severe pain in my left hip for a year now. I...[more]
  • left without a hip (1 replies):
    having had 4 operations in the past 2 months,my wife has...[more]
If you are having doubts about the procedure a second opinion would be a good idea! You need to have your mind put at rest! and If it was me or a family member I would have to be 100 percent without a doubt . I wouldve done  the research just like you did, your health and wellbeing is important and should not be taken lightly!
and I would say your concerns are well founded and should be addressed.

hope this helps:)
ne55
My husband is living with Stryker Implants from two seperate surgeries in two different years and we are about to lose our minds. He has chronic horrible pain in both hips. They've never been right. Both hips are on the recall list and we cant find one dr. that will listen and offer a revision surgery. Seems they all think he's a huge liability.  I understand that these surgeries are quite serious but these hip implants are bad...and once they are in you you cant find anyone to take them out...or at least we cant. We had to find out that they were recalled by a fluke and not by our dr.
We've lived in hell for many years...and it's horrible. Do your homework. WE didnt and we are paying the price. WE trusted our Dr. who was from a world class hospital. Be careful.