Orthopedics Community
Success Rate for Bone Spur Surgery Top of Foot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I've been looking everywhere I can think of to find out if most people who have had this surgery were glad they did or regret it.  I have a bone spur at the base of my big toe joint.   The surgeon said it's no big deal.  I've been seeing him for years and I trust him.  Then I Google "bone spur surgery complaints", for example, and there are plenty of complaints, mostly that the surgery didn't help or made their condition worse.  I'm also concerned about bone infection and staph infections in hospitals generally right now.  PLEASE will some people just say yes or no?  I'm very active and have had to slow way down on my activities because of the pain, but I don't want to have the surgery and never be able to do anything again at all!
Hi there!

The surgery for a bone spur is not a major one and is usually successful. The bias of most people complaining about it probably because people who haven’t recovered well usually write reviews; while less number of people with improvement would do so. Low success rates are usually due to associated issues and not largely due to surgery/ related complications. You may like to discuss the situation in detail with your treating orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!