Orthopedics Community
Sudden knee pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Sudden knee pain

My 23 yr. old healthy son went to the doctor yesterday morning for what he feared could be a hernia in his groin area from coughing. It was determined that he did not have a hernia. There was some blood in his urine. He took a nap in the afternoon and woke up with severe knee pain in his right knee. He could barely move it. he has not had an injury to it. This morning, his "hernia" type pain was much better. The meds given for his cough have also helped. His knee, however, is still very painful. It is putting off some heat but doesn't appear swollen or bruised. He had been icing it and taking Ibuprofen. He talked to the dr. again today and was told to continue with ice and Ibuprofen. Later, this afternoon his left knee has taken on the same symptoms. I am wondering what your opinion is. Thank your for any advice.