Orthopedics Community
Sudden shooting\sharp pain above the top joint of my left index finger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

It just started and was really harsh at first. The finger is a little red compared to my other fingers. Pressing on the joint or where it hurt reduces the pain significantly and now the pain is almost gone but there's a sort of numbness in the edge of the finger. I haven't been using the finger or anything while it happened.
The pain resembles in a manner the pain after throwing something really hard and the pressure that accumulates at the edge of the hand fingers.
Finger mobility seem normal up to it's fully folded position where it feels a little swollen.
Pain shot suddenly and slowly faded away. Very painful too.

Should I be worried?

I'm 25, healthy usually.
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include infections, inflammations, degeneration, injuries such as fractures/ ligament tears etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought. Meanwhile you could try using some ice-packs and tylenol for pain relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!