Orthopedics Community
Surgery C6 C7 Cervical Spinal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Surgery C6 C7 Cervical Spinal

I'm in the beginning stages of whether to do Surgery on my C6 C7 cervical Spinal. An Mri revield 8mm Bulge between C6 C7 pushing on left root nerve causing numbness in left arm and pointer finger. Also I have a 3mm bulge between C5 C6 and 5mm boulge between C4 C5. I was told to do a layer Fusion at C6 C7 only which will result in a 100% succes. Well after reading alot of internet facts, it seems everything doesn't work out that way. I did rececently an epideral procedure with steroid injection, which helped alot. My question is can I recover without Surgery? I'm 42old male and an agressive road cyclist. I'm not afraid of surgery, but just don't want to do damage for the future of my family and my love for cycling. Thank You.

I was in a roll over accident and fractured my C6...I waited three weeks before they did the surgery and put a plate and screws in and marrow. I still have the tingling and numbness in my left arm and three fingers. I have weakness in my arm and the muscle spasms when over used. Everyone is different and you have to make up your own mind on what to do but if you damage it any further you may be stuck with the numbness forever like me. I had a great surgeon and he did all he could for me, he consulted with a number of DR's and they think during the MVA I hit the spinal cord in their words"dinged it" just enough to cause this permanant damage. Don't go so long that you can't go back. I have a bulge now above the C6 and that I have waited 3 yrs~ to deal with until it gets worse. I have no numbness or tingling just pain from time to time. They do say once you have one disc issue you will most likely another because of the weakness due to the first injury. Good Luck. Take Care.