Orthopedics Community
Surgery for labrum hip tear?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Surgery for labrum hip tear?

9 months ago, I slid down (fell down to my butt first) about 8 basement steps, using my right leg to stop my fall.  Right away had groin pain, but ignored thinking I had just pulled that muscle.  Finally diagnosed as Labrum tear in hip with MRI and contrast.  It has decreased in pain about 65% since then and I have been seeing a physical therapist at least 6 months regular.  I am an avid mountain hiker and walker...and am having trouble climbing up inclines now, walking distances longer than 2-4 miles without pain or causing a flairup which may be mild to fairly severe.   Twisting & turning just the right way causes sharp knife-like pain.  This hip clicks often now but this does not hurt.  ( For many months I could not walk a block without lots of pain.  )  I have made alot of progress, but 9  months later...still having the above issues with walking uphill, steps, or hiking flat paths more than 2-4 miles, twisting and turning.  The pain is fairly consistant but at times its not.  I saw a Dr in Ortho recently who suggested scoping the hip and stitching up the labrum tear (involves dislocating the hip to do it).  My question...does it damage the hip to let this go with no surgery?  Do tears mend themselves?  Without surgery, will I reaggravate this area whenever I want to hike long distances?  I also found out I have had mild hip displasia, and a fast wearing out hip joint and a larger than usual labrum from the displasia that weakened over time...and then tore with the fall.   I am too young for hip replacement and its not that bad yet.  I am 48 yrs old.  I am leaning toward the labrum surgery, but wonder, what if I just kept up with therapy, would the tear mend itself ?  I was told the hip with degenerate faster without the repair.  Any input anyone?  Thanks so much!  Angelsamongus
Tags: surgery?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
For healing you have to limit your thrills in life. The hiking and climbing will have a toll on the already damaged labrum.
Rest and Physiotherapy in a perfect way will give you desired results over a long period of time.

Surgery is an option if you want to continue hiking and if Physiotherapy fails
Long term complications are  if the damage is not repaired then arthritis may develop and for this you have to go for replacement which is the final option.

Take care!
ok, i have the same problem except im 13. The tear in the labrum will not heal itself with just physio. Without surgery you will most likely aggravate the labrum making the tear bigger. As the tear gets bigger it will be harder to fix during surgery. I got told that if i dont have surgry my bones will start grinding together which will cause me to have a full hip replacement at the age of 20. So, basically you're going to have surgry either sooner or later. It is not a major operation, usually just day surgery. I have been waiting 2 years and am finally having surgery next week. If i was you I would really consider having the operation.

=]
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!,

Assess your case perfectly and minor tears can heal with time. Every case is different.
Discuss with your orthopaedician and with the latest MRI reports the best future course of action. Take the advice of lil_calvi so that you do not face any complications in the future.

Take care!
I'm 33 and have a labral tear in my right hip and have been in varying degrees of pain for over 2 years; I've tried many things such as PT, yoga, pilates, strength training, steroid injection, and chiropractics.  Chiropractics has been the most helpful.  The tear is not healing itself, and I've been told that osteoarthritis and hip replacement will be accelerated if I choose not to get a repair.  So, I'm having the surgery next week. I consulted 2 orthopedists in NYC--Dr Michael Kang and Dr Brian Kelly--and they both told me similar things--I would be on crutches for a few weeks post-op, would start PT right away, and hopefully be back to full sport within 4-6 months of PT.  I'll keep you posted on my progress....although I must admit I'm very nervous after reading many people's posts that report they're still in pain months-to-years after surgery.  I hope I'm making the right decision.
Hello everyone,

I had my arthroscopic labral repair on Tuesday (it's now Saturday).  The doctor said he found a partial tear which he repaired, and he shaved down a bony mass as well.  By the time I got home and situated that evening, I noticed that the pain in my hip was completely gone, which is sort of amazing considering I haven't had a pain-free day in over 2 years.  I'm feeling very optimistic.

However, my right leg is now very stiff (I guess from being pulled out of socket and cut into), so my range of motion is limited, and I can only lift the leg a few inches.  But I am getting around on the crutches reasonably well.  I was pretty groggy Tuesday night but have felt energetic since and stopped taking the pain medicine Wednesday evening.  I have 2 small incisions on my upper right leg and 4 stitches total which will be taken out in 2 weeks.

I start PT on Monday.  I'm supposed to go 3 times per week for 6 weeks.  I also plan to start swimming laps as soon as they give me the go-ahead.  I  would love to be able run 2-3x/wk again, but want to have a back-up sport just in case running won't be an option.  I'm trying to be realistic and not set myself up for disappointment, but i want to find a way to remain active.  

I'll keep you posted on my progress and my PT experience.  
I was wondering how your doing now? I am also 33 almost 34 and having labral tear surgery along with shaving off a bone spur..2 yrs. Since my accident and I feel very fortunate to finally get some help and I Hope relief...I hope You have seen some improvement!!
Oh I know all about the tore Labrum, I had my surgery on Feb 8,2011, I really thought Id be doing better by now. I had the tore labrum, a chondroplasty of acetabulum and femoral head and neck (thats when they shave it down and reshape it ) I had a teres ligament tear repair, the labrum debided, a synovectomy, boney oseocytes(or bone spurs) removed because they developed from walking around for so long with a tore labrum and the femoral head kept smashing into the acetabulum . I was a mess, I am a 102 lb 44 year female , Im an RN and couldnt afford to be off work for 3 months. I am at about 9 weeks Post Op  and still couldnt think of being able to go back to work. I was on crutches for 6 weeks, and tapering off after that. This week has been bad with the rain , here in Michigan I had to pull out my crutches. I dont walk far, when I go to stores unless its an in and out deal I will use the motorized carts still. I go to PT 2 xs /wk for 6 wks, just to regain weight bearing, no strength training.Im not big on taking narcotics, but nights are the worst, I hurt last night so bad I was crying and took 1/2 a pain pill, which was enough to bring it to a tolerable level. Its sharp pains in the groin and thigh and back. I dont feel much different than when I first injured it 2 years ago, I just pray it starts changing, because I dont want to lose my job and I cant afford to be off work with no pay. Everyones surgeries are unique and recoveries are the same, but you will be required to be off for 3 months, my dr told me after I will need a Hip replacement, and ill be ticked off if I went through all this and keep suffering and have to have it in a year. Alot of wasted time and pain.My Dr prescribed a Don Joy Iceman,its a ice pack that wraps around the hip, I had to pay for it ,it was 230.00 but it was worth it and I can use it for anything. Use the ice, I also was on a CPM (continuous passive motion machine) if you Dr writes for it use it , its a rental most insurances pay for it, or ask him for a CPM machine, helps with decrease in adhesions, imflammation, infections, and better mobility. Well this is my situation I will keep you posted ,as my recovery continues and good luck on your decision, God Bless Sherri Lynn
How are you doing on your leg now?
how is your hip can you run?
I need help guys. I been diagnosed with left anterior superior labral tear 6 weeks ago and I'm still in pain. I been relaxing home but i did some walking too which it cause more pain. I don't know what to do, to have the  surgery or just wait a little longer to see if it's going to heal on his own. Pls i need some answer asap.
Thank you
Hello and Welcome to MedHelp! I am the "new" Orthopedic Community Leader for MedHelp. I am new to this site. I am playing "catch-up" so I'm sorry for the delay, the list is massive. It sounds like you might have a nasty tear. My Docs (I am a Orthopedic First Assistant) would have expected some improvement by now. They will rarely wait more than 12 weeks before thinking about surgery, but that depends on what has been tried during that time period. I can only offer my opinion, always consult with your physician. That said, some things a Orthopod might want to know (or now already knows) is: Have you had any type of injection(s) - Corticosteroid, Anesthesia (into the joint), Physical Therapy, hip locking episodes, recent incident that could have caused this injury, what type of pain relief have you been using - Motrin, Advil, Aleve, etc.., x-rays/ MRI (an MRI is paramount here). I don't know what else to add. Please feel free to contact me anytime if you have questions about this or any other issues. Best wishes! jd1963