Orthopedics Community
Swelling Knee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Swelling Knee

I am 225, 5'9", muscular/huskie male. I did a 4.4 mile pretty steep incline hike up Mission Peak in Fremont, CA for the first time on a Sunday. On Monday my knee was feeling fine, on Tuesday there was a mild/medium pain, but later when I got home that day it flared up and I was in a lot of pain. Throughout the night from Tues night to Wed morning it hurt to extend it and it hurt to bend my leg. I took 800mg of ibuprofen to at least keep the swelling and pain down. I can walk on it, and keep it in a certain postition and i'll be okay, but full range of movement is not an option for me. Also, it's swollen  to the size of a softball. Please advise ASAP
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

It can be probably due to some sprain or strain to tendons or ligaments in your knee joint. It is mandatory to rest the affected knee and also to apply ice packs. Continue ibuprofen for 3-4 days and also wear a knee support or brace. Do not exert and do not do any weight bearing.

If the pain and inflammation continues then you have to go for some scans and follow up with an orthopedician for a proper examination and diagnosis.

Take care!
Thanks Dr Vinod! I'm putting on the icepacks for 15 minutes every our. should that suffice?
Also, is it common to not feel anything for the first two days then have it swell up like that?