Swelling in Groin
Last week I noticed a swollen area on one side of my groin, felt raised and was very tender to the touch. My doctor suspected a swollen lymph node, although it was curious how it was a thin long raised area and not a typical swollen lump in one spot. He put me on antibiotics which I completed taking today. It has not resolved the problem, the area still exhibits varying degrees of swelling depending on time of day, activity level, and I have since developed a bruising sensation along the upper part of my leg not immediately below the lump but a couple of inches lower, extending around the side of my leg even at the top of my buttock region. I also feel some sort of sensation in my abdominal muscle in the area of the lump. I phoned my doctor today, and despite the bruising sensation I described, he doesn't believe it is anything muscular in nature and recommends a biopsy. I am very actrive, regularly engage in highly intense tennis and cycling up very steep mountain roads for long periods of time. I do not recall an injury per se, but do recall feeling something funny in my hip within tha past couple of weeks. The doctor compromised with me on going with a CT before doing the biopsy, I am wondering if you think this would weed out a possible strain or hernia, or if anything I am describing sounds like it could be related to my physical activity. I have not had any symptoms one associates with a swollen lymph gland, my blood test turned out fine, and I have no known infections. I am able to continue physical activity despite the tenderness, as I am not experiencing pain aside from knowing I have this sore area which can be felt when walking, bending, etc. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
42, female, never any health issues; I did have a UFE almost 2 years ago, and the catheter was inserted in the vicinity of where I am now experiencing this but I think that's coincidental as I had no complications at all. The swelling is minimal in the morning, and although it isn't as if it balloons up when I exercise it does seem to be more prominent in the evenings after I have worked out.
Thanks for any input.
Thanks Cleansweep. The more I look at information on hernias, the more I think I may have a femoral hernia. I can definitely feel it pulse when I cough, but my doctor seemed to think if I had a hernia "I would know". I appreciate you input.
Hernia can easily be diagnosed clinically.
It may be inguinal hernia, which is direct and indirect and femoral hernia.
Hernia's just need examination by any surgeon to diagnosis.

Your Physician thinks that bipisy would give him diagnosis so he has advised it before CT. He suspects some mass based on your history.

You need to believe a Physician and help him come to diagnosis. But the Physician should also explain to you the pros and cons before doing any intervention.
As CT Scan is non invasive he can do it before he does biopsy.

You have to take the decision.

Take care!