Orthopedics Community
Swelling in the Thenar region

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Swelling in the Thenar region

I have a large swelling in the thenar region of my hand. The area is tender to the touch and sorta squishy. I have had xrays and there is no joint or bone problem. I am worried because it seems like a hematoma, but it has been there for over 2 weeks now, and I never saw any bruising nor do I remember any trauma to my hand that would have caused it.
Hi there!

Well, without a physical examination and probably a few tests, it would be difficult to point out the cause of the swelling in your case. Possible causes include infections/ inflammations, abscess, cysts etc. It would be best to get this evaluated by an orthopedician at your earliest convenience for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
Hope this helps.

Take care!