Orthopedics Community
Swelling of the feet, ankles, and lower legs ????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I also have a question about swollen feet, ankles, and legs. For the past few weeks I have been experiencing swollen feet ankles and now it's even moving up my legs from my calves to just above my knees even. the feet are so bad recently that it feels like the skin on them is going to burst open. Especially in the morning when I first wake up and get out of bed because they have been not used all night and when I first step out of bed the skin is pulled so tightly do to the swelling it is very painful. I also drink quite a bit. I drink vodka pretty much daily and about 2 pints a day of it. I thought perhaps this was the cause so I cut way back for a week but that seemed to do nothing to help it really. it seems to be getting worse week after week. I am really beginning to grow concerned as to why this is getting worse not better. I have been monitoring my temperature several times a day and it has always been normal. So I seriously doubt it is an infection because I have no signs that go along with infection such as, fever, cold sweets, shaking, feeling sick, etc. a few days ago my right foot was itching quite a bit so I was scratching it, the next day where I was scratching turned into open wounds, so I have been putting rubbing alcohol on those wounds several times a day and then Neosporin on , to ensure that I do not get an infection. I've been looking online and there are quite a few things it could be. As I said I've pretty much ruled out infection, I don't think it is my salt intake because I don't really use it, it's not caused from being on my feet all day because I am not. I was beginning to be concerned when I read an article about heart failure, because I already have issues with my heart (an artificial Tricuspid valve and pace maker). I called my cardiologist and told him of the swelling issues I was having with my feet and ankles 2 weeks ago and told him I was concerned about heart failure. He told me not to worry about it because and I quote, " I see swollen feet everyday, I'm pretty sure you don't have heart failure because you do not have the other symptoms that go along with it, chest pain, excessive shortness or breath, etc." Well that was a relief , so I'm thinking perhaps it could be liver failure? I have Hep-C and have had it for about 10 years now. As I said I drink quite a bit daily, so perhaps my liver is shutting down? What do you think and what do you think I can do to try and get this swelling to go down and hopefully away for good? Please E-mail me your answer or copy and past what you write here into an E-mail and send it to me at ***@****. Because I've never been to this site before and doubt I will be able to find it again =). Thank you for your help with this matter. btw I am 36 years old. White Male. if that matters at all when it comes to this issue. Thanks again. Chris

I took a few pictures showing the extent of the swelling in my feet and lower legs but it appears that I can not post them in this window.  If anyone would like to see the pictures to get a better idea of what exactly I'm talking about please e-mail me or reply to this question with your e-mail address and I will e-mail you a few pictures of the swelling.  Thank you.
-  OK I just Uploaded the pictures of the swollen feet, Ankles, and Lower Legs to my profile.  To get a better idea of what I'm talking about please view my Profile "CRyoul" and click on my photos, and then select the album titled "Swollen Feet, Ankles, and Lower Legs 2-1-2012".  Thank you very much for your help with this matter, I welcome any and all feedback, suggestions, advice, or opinions on this matter.  - Chris =)
Hey Chris!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of the swollen feet. Possibilities that may need to be considered include venous/ lymphatic obstruction, abdominal/ pelvic mass, heart/ liver/ kidney issues, inflammations/ infections (despite lack of other signs) etc. It would be best to have this evaluated by an internist at your earliest convenience. Depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!