Orthopedics Community
Swollen , Inflamed Knee, Full of Fluid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Swollen , Inflamed Knee, Full of Fluid

Hi, I was hoping you could assist with the following problem,

Following a fall in football, landing on the right side of my left knee, I experienced immense pain and heat across the knee. Immediately after bruising spread up and down my leg and a fluid filled sac developed on the top right side of my knee cap.

I visited the doctor and initial was assessed by the two nurses who said they didn't know what it was and asked me to come back to see the doctor. i was informed by the doctor after taking an x- ray not to worry as it was not one of the main sacs in the knee as the bruising was only one one side. He said it would reduce in due course and spotted the bruising leading a path down to my ankle. He said swimming would be ok but did not advise football. Of course I go and play football that night and now the fluid has increased and got much "tighter", I can barely bend the knee now and have trouble walking. I know I was stupid playing football in the first place but the doctor really only said that I probably shouldn't play, to a sports fanatic like me I need told in no uncertain terms.  It looks like "elepehantitis" almost with a massive swelling hanging to the side of me knee,

My question is should I be worried now and seek another opinion ? Is this increased swelling and tightness now a different or more severe problem? The knee is now extremely painful from what was mildly painful and my ability to walk and bend the knee is severely reduced.

Kind Regards

Ian
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would suggest you to go for scans and follow up with an orthopedician for examination.

Rest completely, take NSAIDs and apply ice packs and keep your leg elevated on a pillow while sleeping and keep it elevated after every couple of hours on a stool during the day time to reduce swelling.

You need a proper diagnosis and you have to rule out ligament tears, muscle or tendon damage before going for treatment.

Take care!