Orthopedics Community
Swollen Joints

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Swollen Joints

I'm a 28 year old female and I have been having swelling, stiffness and pain of my right index finger knuckle for over 2 years. It started off as a little right itchy bump on my knuckle (it kind of looked like a welt) and it felt like it was on fire.  I noticed it would flare up when it would rain and there was high humidity. From there it has progressed to swelling and it is usually stiff. It has been swollen for so long now that it has started to deform my joint. Now my knuckle in my hand of the index finger is starting to swell and it's painful. Both knuckles are continuously swollen.  In the morning my finger is stiff and hurts.  Sometimes I can barely move my finger.  Usually I'll massage the joint and it will start to loosen up.  Sometimes my joint feels hot to the touch, but that's only when it flares up.  I have been tested for arthritis and it has come back negative, I've also been tested for Lupus as it runs in my family and that has been negative as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I would say you should start doing Physical Therapy so it would not get stiff and if that does not help or go away I would see if there is anyway to get it removed or something like that
Thanks for your response.  I have a feeling the knuckle in my finger will be permanently wide compared to the rest of my fingers.  I'm just worried that what ever this ailment is, will start to spread to the rest of my fingers.  Hindsight is twenty-twenty and I wish that I had gotten it checked out 2 years ago when the symptoms first started and not have let it get to this point.    
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You have ruled out lupus but it is important to follow up with a rheumatologist.

You have to rule out Rheumatic fever and Rheumatoid arthritis. You also have to rule out thyroid issues and deformities due to any past injuries.

You might be allergic to some substances so try some anti histamines such as avil, benadryl or loratidine.

If you do not have any findings on your scans and in blood reports then there is no reason to worry.

Rule out skin and soft tissue issues also.

Take care!