Orthopedics Community
Swollen Knee and Pain.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Swollen Knee and Pain.

Last summer my knee was swollen for no reason. I hadn't hurt it, i had played any sport recently, and i hadn't done anything that could've hurt it. I went to the Emergency room and got X-rays done and they tested fluids in my knee and still nothing. They couldn't find why. They sent me to an Orthopedic and Then they performed an MRI and perscribed Anti-Inflamatories (Naproxen) and pain relievers. The Orthopedic ended up telling me that everything seemed fine in my knee and there was no reason why it should be swoolen but he couldn't continue helping me because i had no fracture or torn anything. After a couple of weeks it reduced in inflamation (inflammation) dramatically and for a while everything seemed fine. that is, untill now. It's really swollen again and it's pretty hard. I have such dificulty walking. the time before, my knee would lock up but now it's so tender and weak and i can bearly stand up. What should i do now? What could possibly be causing this?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Hello!

I would suggest you to get yourself checked by a rheumatologist and rule out rheumatoid arthritis, Rheumatic fever, septic arthritis or osteoarthritis.

An X-ray on the present date will be worthwhile and you can also go for related blood tests.

If your scans do not report any bony or soft tissue injury then you would need to follow up with a neurologist to rule out any spine problems or any other nerve involvement.

If required your orthopedician will go for an arthroscopy for diagnosis.

Take care!