Orthopedics Community
Swollen Knee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Swollen Knee

My left knee out of nowhere started hurting and over a couple days it has swollen up and his now bigger than right knee and I don't know why. It looks like there's extra tissue around my knee and its warm to touch, hurts to straighten and feels super tight when I bend it. Help?
Hi P Moultry,

I am so very sorry to hear about your sudden knee pain. There can be several reasons why it is swollen and warm.

Obviously it could be an arthritis. Yes arthritis can become extreme quickly in just one joint, especially when it first presents. You can develop arthritis at any age - there are over 100 different types of arthritis. Gouty arthritis, better known as just plain Gout can cause the symptoms you describe.

Sometimes we can turn or twist our knee and injury it without even being aware of it - or it can swell from normal every day repetitive use. A swollen knee can be due to fluid within the knee joint itself, or in the surrounding soft-tissue. Obviously one needs to determine the cause of the fluid accumulation - and to determine exactly where the fluid is located. Fluid can build up with an arthritis also.

You could have a bursitis. Fluid may build up when you have a prepatellar bursitis. That's just the medical term for Kneecap Bursitis. A bursa is a thin sack filled with a lubricating fluid. It's painful.

Last but not least it could be an infection in the knee area. I'm sure there are many other causes - those I listed are just some of the more common ones.

What ever the reason may be - I encourage you to consult your medical provider asap. Call your clinic - if they can't get you in then I suggest an Urgent Care Clinic. Some of the best care I have received has been at a reputable Urgent Care Clinic.

In the mean time remember that universal treatment R.I.C.E. - which stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Use what's appropriate for your situation. Certainly rest, elevate and place ice on that knee. Some ppl find a bag of frozen peas to work better than actual ice. I have two marked (for injuries) in my freezer at all times - then I know not to eat those pkgs down the road - and I just rotate the two bags for pain or injuries.

I hope something I have offered has been helpful and that you'll soon feel better. Please let us know how you are doing.

Best of Luck,
~Tuck