Swollen fingers
Several months ago I woke up with a sausage type very swollen middle finger on my left hand. Then a couple months later it went into my index and then my ring finger.  My GP ran some blood work; I guess the normal for arthritis and everything came back normal. No RA, no lupus, no anything.  She then recommended that I see an Orthopedic surgeon; he gave me a shot of steriods which I had a really strange reaction too and it also did nothing for the swelling.  In the past I have always responded well to steriod shots; but not this time.  My fingers turned blue, sharp pain all through my forearm and a red stripe along the side of my forearm; it felt like I had a turnicant on cutting off all circulation, well it fianally went away and he diagnosed me with CTS.  And that I would most likely have to have surgery.  I don't have pain in my wrist or thumb which is normal for CTS.  Could this really be what it is?  I do have tingeling in my fingers and numbness, mostly in the morning. It's the swelling and pain and not being able to make a fist that I don't understand; it that normal with CTS?  Could I have a pinched nerver? I also have a very stiff neck and pain in my elbow.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be?  My fingers and my joints remain swollen and painful; it's been months and they will not go down.
    How are you? Carpal tunnel syndrome or median neuropathy at the wrist is due to compression of the median nerve at the wrist causing pain, numbness and muscle weakness. True carpal tunnel only elicits symptoms in the thumb, index, and middle fingers, along the median nerve distribution, but some patients may experience symptoms in the palm as well. Patient's with CTS may present with varied symptoms depending upon the level of compression of the median nerve.

Many people that have carpal tunnel syndrome have gradually increasing symptoms over time. If the median nerve is already under stress, the increased compression of the bent wrist results in numbness and tingling. Difficulty gripping and making a fist, dropping objects, and weakness are symptoms of progression. In early stages of CTS individuals often mistakenly blame the tingling and numbness on restricted blood circulation. Most symptoms that you mentioned relate to CTS. The only treatment established to be disease modifying is operative release of the transverse carpal ligament.

CTS is associated with stress, trauma, pregnancy, as well as several diseases including multiple myeloma, amyloid, rhematoid arthritis, acromegaly, mucopolysaccharidoses, hypothyroidism. Swelling of joints in the fingers is usually not related to CTS, but can occur in coincidence with arthritis of any origin.

I would suggest to get a complete work up done again for arthritis, and take surgical treatment for CTS.
All the best.