Orthopedics Community
Synvisc vs. Orthovisc

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Synvisc vs. Orthovisc

I was given a Synvisc one tme injection in both  my left and right knees in August of 2010.  It was wonderful and I did not need another one until December of 2011.  Same injection  but only my left knee needed the Synvisc treatment.  I reacted to the injection within 24 hours and my knee swelled up to the size is a 18" softball and excruciatingly painful.  I ended up in the ER where they took off 50 cc of fluid.  Three days later 75 cc were taken off and a cortisone shot was given.  The swelling eventually subsided.  The very curious thing about this is that my sister had exactly the same experience with Synvisc --  second shot (not the first) reacted with pain and swelling and had to have fluid drained. Now, my doctor is suggesting Orthovisc. injections - 1 each week for 3 weeks.  Am I in danger of the same reaction that I had with Synvisc?
Hi there!

Orthovisc is developed from non-avian sources and a reaction is unlikely due to avian allergies.
Hope this information is helpful.

Take care!
I had an injection of Gel One about 3 months ago and it helped a great deal at first but now the pain is back.  Is there any other injections that might work better and last longer?  Can I get another one this soon?  Thanks