Orthopedics Community
TFCC SURGERY AND STILL PAIN???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

TFCC SURGERY AND STILL PAIN???

IM 15 AND ON AUGUST 12,2008 I HAD TFCC SURGERY DONE BECAUSE OF VERY BAD TEARS AND AFTER THE SURGERY I TRYD TO WRITE AND THEN I HEARD A LOUD POP AND IT FELT LIKE AND ELECTRIC SHOCK GOIN UP MY ARM AND IT SWELLED UP AND WAS REALLY PAINFUL AND WE WENT TO SEE MY HAND DOC AND HE DID AN X-RAY AND SAID THERES NOTHING WRONG AND SENT ME HOME AND WEVE WENT SEVERAL TIMES AND HE SAYS NOTHING AND I SWITCHED DOCTORS AND HE COULDNT TAKE ME SO WE GOT MY RECORDS AND IT SAID I HAD 7 TEARS AND HE SHAVED THEM BUT HE ONLY TOLD ME AND MY MOM THAT I HAD ONLY 1 AND IM REALLY CONCERNED BECAUSE SINCE THAT DAY MY HAND IS NUMB AND TINGLES AND IT SWOLLEN AND MY HAND LOOKS REALLY DEFORMED IT LOOKS LIKE DUPUYTREN'S CONTRACTURE AND A LITTLE LIKE CLAW HAND MY PINKY WENT UNDER AND RING AND MIDDLE ARE CURVED LIKE A CLAW AND INDEX IS STRAIGHT AND MY FINGERS ARE REALLY STIFF I EVEN HAT PTHERAPY FOR 3MONTHS AND SHE EVEN WROTE HIM A NOTE THAT IM NOT IMPROVING AND STILL HE DIDNT DO ANYTHING I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG PLEASE HELP ME?????
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Triangular fibrocartilage complex injuries will need this wrist surgery.
Due to the tears you had to go for this surgery.
There are intricate nerves and arteries connecting your hand and arm going through your wrist.
The shock is due to the ulnar nerve tingling and you will have these residual pain and nerve tingling sensation initially.
The clinician was sure after the X-ray that nothing is wrong with the position of your bones and they are not compressing any nerves etc.
So wait for couple of months and do the physiotherapy and you will gain the strength slowly.
There will be some residual loss of movements but slowly you will gain maximum strength which depends on your will power and strength in believing that you can do it!
If they persist for longer time visit the surgeon!
Take care
SO IF THAT WAS FROM TH ULNER NERVE THEN WHY IS MY HAND ALL DEFORMED I DONT UNDERSTAND AND WHEN I TURN MY ARM OVER IT POPS AND HURTS AT THE ULNER BONE AND IM JUST REALLY CONCERNED CAUSE ITS BEEN LIKE THIS FOR 9 AND A HALF MONTHS AND STILL NOTHING??? AND MY MOM IS REALLY CONCERNED TO AND I ALSO HAVE VERY BAD CIRCULATION AND SWELLING... ALOT OF PPL THINK ITS RSD CUZ IT TURNS RED AND BLUE AND I GOT TEMPATURE CHANGES IN IT MY HAND WOULD BE ICE COLD AND SWEATY I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM THANKS FOR THE REPLY I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT  
Try wrapping your wrist with non elastic tape without putting any tape on the big bone in your wrist on the pinky side.  Try this for 2 days (no increase of symptoms of course)  If it helps- email me at ***@****.  I can see if I can find you a good hand therapist in your area.

All the best to you,

Wendy Howard, OTR, CHT, Clinical Research Coordinator
well im goin to see a hand therapist but ive already had physical therapy for 3 months but it showed no improvement and so my PT sent a letter to my hand doc. but he didnt do anything he just said it was all in my head and so i dont know what to do my hand looks really deformed and red and swollen maybe you can help im goin to put a picture on my page
Hey nessa 15 stop seeing  doctor's and go see a lawer ASAP Ill garantee you will have a Medical malipratic case and he'll send you to his doctor and your old doctor will be scared to death and start answering all your question's? you'll see, he will turn into a big punk. trust me tell your mom to take you. GOOD LUCK  PEREZ,USN
Hello My name is Rafael Perez I have a question I was discharged from the military after a short time of surgery. I had a 3 hour TFCC Tear nonunion styliod. I was cut open and I am wondering what went wrong? why was I  kept  in the hospital for two days ?  And the pain I had when they finally woke me up felt like it was life threating I was screaming and screaming cause of the pain. My surgery date was NOV,3,2003 and I was discharged DEC,17,2003, My question is when they took off the cast after 5 weeks my wrist was so weak it felt like it was going to break apart and again I was yealling for help to hold my wrist in place. I was put in a sling and put on med-hold but was discharged by my ship and not released by my doctor or even medically. no physical theorpy no nothing? Now I was out of commision  for months with my wrist broken or at least it felt that way? How long was my physical Disability supposed to last? and how long was I supposed to be in physical thearpy? Can anyone help me on this one? P.S I went to the veteran's Hospital they did tests and found a shorten of an ottonmy 3mm I dont know what that is so I refused to do it Please if anyone knows please send me a message.....