Orthopedics Community
TFCC Tear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

TFCC Tear

I injured my right wrist from pulling up a patient at work. After a series of diagnostic and treatment such as plain x-ray no fracture; EMG positive for mild to moderate carpal tunnel; cortisone shot which never help; MRI arthrogram which reveals TFCC and a possible scapholunate tear. First hand specialist wanted to do arthroscopy with possible open and a second opinion hand specialist doesn't think it's TFCC since I don't have pain on my ulnar part of my wrist but I do have a throbbing pain sorrounding my right wrist including my pinky, ring finger and around my thumb area. The  second hand specialist had ordered an ultrasound on my right wrist and forearm pending result. It has been seven months since my injury, the numbness, tingling, tightness started about two months after the injury and now it's the pain that is bothering me on top of weaknesses I have been feeling on my right hand especially when I'm trying to hold something using my right hand. And yes, I had been going to physical therapy up to present which I don't see any progress at all (almost 2 months of treatment). Had been on Naprosyn and Prilosec with no relief and changed to Voltaren and Zantac for the last 6 days but seems not to be helping too. I'm pretty much anxious and has been suffering for quite awhile now. What else are they trying to rule out?

This discussion is related to TFCC tear in wrist due to snowboarding, how do i treat?.
I had a tfcc tear along with the scapholunate tear (SL) and a LT tear. My whole wrist hurt and it was weak and I dropped things as well. I also had the thumb pain and they released a tenton shealth. I had surgery to repair all of that and after the surgery failed for the lt tear I had an intercarpal fusion which to this day is bothering me.
I think if the arthogram and mri results said you had a tear you think that would be so I know a radiologist reads those reports and usually send the doctor a full report.
I guess the doc knows what he is doing though.
Let me knnow what the ultra sound report says when you get it. Good luck
Ultrasound on my right wrist confirmed that it is a tear and increased edema within the sorrounding soft tissues.
Now I'm scheduled for arthroscopy, awaiting for insurance authorization. For the meantime, I still continue my physical therapy although it doesn't seem to work.
Well I think PT at this point is useless. If they do surgery to fix the tear you will only start all over with PT.
Good Luck to you.