Orthopedics Community
Talus Fracture Complications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Talus Fracture Complications

I broke my talus (talor neck) bone snowboarding a week ago and wonder how much it will affect my active lifestyle. After 2 opinions, I have been told I could opt for surgery or since it is in perfect alignment (via ct scan and multiple xrays) it does not require surgery. I have chosen not to have surgery based on the possible complications stemming from surgery. I am in a cast and have another Dr visit to scan again in 5 weeks. I am nervous about the success rate of this type of fracture. What is the possibility that I will have pain in this region for the rest of my life? Will I ever be able to snowboard, bike, surf, run etc.. again?  

thanks,
Avatar dr m tn
Hello!

The proper course of treatment depends on the displacement. If undisplaced a below knee plaster cast for 8-10 weeks is sufficient. In a displaced fracture, open reduction and internal fixation of the fracture with a screw is required.

Go for a repeat scan and if the healing is fine there is nothing to worry.

Take care!