Talus Fracture Complications
I broke my talus (talor neck) bone snowboarding a week ago and wonder how much it will affect my active lifestyle. After 2 opinions, I have been told I could opt for surgery or since it is in perfect alignment (via ct scan and multiple xrays) it does not require surgery. I have chosen not to have surgery based on the possible complications stemming from surgery. I am in a cast and have another Dr visit to scan again in 5 weeks. I am nervous about the success rate of this type of fracture. What is the possibility that I will have pain in this region for the rest of my life? Will I ever be able to snowboard, bike, surf, run etc.. again?  

thanks,
Hello!

The proper course of treatment depends on the displacement. If undisplaced a below knee plaster cast for 8-10 weeks is sufficient. In a displaced fracture, open reduction and internal fixation of the fracture with a screw is required.

Go for a repeat scan and if the healing is fine there is nothing to worry.

Take care!