Orthopedics Community
Tarsal tunnel surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Tarsal tunnel surgery

I have been diagnosed with tarsal tunnel syndrome and have tried just about every conservative method of treatment. It appears the next step would be tarsal tunnel release. Does this surgery have a high success rate. I am afraid that I will end up with more trouble than I already have. Any help would be appreciated

I had tarsal tunnel surgery a little over two years ago. I have had many problems since I do not know if it was caused by the surgery or if there was other problems that were not found when I injured my ankle.

If you have not done so I would try to find a good chiropractor. They are much more than back doctors and I wish I would have known this before I agreed to surgery. The chiropractor I have now is the first first person I have seen who has given me some pain relief. (I have seen 5 different doctors and had p.t. for more than two years without any relief.

Good luck,

achilles2

P.S.  If you can try to avoid treatment with antidepressants and drugs such as Lyrica they have many side effects. One I remember right away is that I gained 12 lbs in less than a month on Lyrica.
Thank you so much for your information. I am in Physical Therapy now trying to get relief. A big problem is that I also have Plantar Fasciitis and a heel spur in the same foot. I have so much pain that I am nearly desperate. It feels like I'm walking on pure bone with no padding. Very painful. I really do not want surgery. I will try looking for a good Chiropractitioner. Thank you for your reply.
You're welcome, if you do find one, he or she can also easily treat your plantar fascitis. My chiropractor told me that is one of the easiest things to treat.

achilles2
Forgot to add I have sent you a note with three names, but since I do not know where you are (understandable I do not make it available either) I do  not know if it will be helpful.

Good luck
I had surgery for Tarsal tunnel 7 weeks ago and I still have pain just like I had before.  The doctor told me it would take 3 months for healing.  I asked him if the pain I have now is from the healing process or does it indicate that the surgery has not been successfull.  He said he thought it is probably because the Tarsal Tunnel has not finished healing.  Has anyone had experience similar to mine?   What can I do if the surgery is not successful?  Can I have the nerve cut to stop the pain?