Tears of the Hip Abductor Tendons
I am a 59yo male with torn hip tendons on both hips. Initially was treated with cortisone injections into the bursa's
and with little improvement after 2 injections and continual ultrasound and physio treatment on both sides, an MRI showed tears of the hip abductor tendons.
To date there has been little success with repairing torn hip tendons, as unlike a shoulder it is not easy to immobilise the leg.  
I am about to undergo a fairly new procedure (where there has been a 90% success rate of over 100 patients) where they protect the repair of the tendon by inserting a form of 'internal splint'. This 'artificial ligament' also appears to become incorporated into the tendon itself, which in turn may improve the environment in which the tendon repair can occur and also, they believe, effectively augment the strength of the tendon itself as the tendon tissue insinuates itself within the porous structure of the artificial LARS ligament.

Would appreciate if anyone has had this operation, or any medical person has any more knowledge / information
on this new procedure, to contact me with any relevant information.

Scheduled for surgery August 2013.

Many thanks
Hi!
Normally, tears in the tendons of gluteus medius and minimus (abductors of hip) are repaired by transosseous sutures and this is quite successful in providing pain relief and movement. Newer methods like the one you explain, in which sometimes Achilles tendon or the gluteus maximus muscle flap is used, to reconstruct the torn tendons is also showing promising results. Long term success cannot be ascertained as they are relatively new technologies. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.