Orthopedics Community
Tendon in the back of knee hurts and some swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I noticed that there is some pain in the tendon that seems to run from the back of the knee down to my foot.  Its been a little sore for about a week but now it seems to be getting worse.  I noticed for the first time today that my calf is swollen and that my knee is too but not as bad as my calf.  The pain gets worse if I fully extend my leg and point my toes up.  Im assuming this is from some sort of an injury?  I do not have medical insurance right now and wonder if there is anything I can do to help it and more importantly, what is causing this pain and swelling.

Avatar_dr_m_tn

Hello!

Get your hamstrings checked and also get your knee examined to rule out ligament problems.

I would suggest you to visit an orthopedician to rule out sciatica or any injury to you calf muscles or tend Achilles. You should also rule out conditions like peripheral artery diseases and DVT.

Take NSAIDs and apply ice pack and rest adequately for couple of days.

Take care!
Thanks.  I went to the Dr, and they ruled out DVT.  However, they just released me and diagnosed me with Edema.  Now my ankle and foot are swelling up too along with my calf.  I have been taking NSAIDS but havent really been applying ice that much.  It seems really tight and sore especially in the morning but is releaved somewhat during activity such as walking.  I am concerned though because the swelling seems to be spreading...any thoughts???