Orthopedics Community
Think I tore my teres minor muscle in rotator cuff...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

*lost my medical last month or I'd just go to the doctors....

If you want the short story w/o an explanation of what happened just jump forward to the second paragraph...

About 2 weeks ago I was doing laying down pullovers with a W bar to try and fix shoulders rolling forward.. muscles fatigued faster than I expected and after doing 3 sets and having a moderately hard 3rd set.. I went onto my 4th set and toward the end of the set my arm gave out on the second to last repetition and let down the weight behind my head. I didn't really notice any sharp pain or anything.. just what I thought was extreme fatigue on what I have determined to be my teres minor. After taking a week off lifting and just playing bball (yeah i know not good for a teres minor tear.. but i didnt figure I had a tear at the time) I came back and did 2 days of lifting.. my chest day and back/shoulder/arms day.. I noticed some slight discomfort but was backed off my normal load about 25-35 lbs on all the dumbell excercises I did for chest/shoulders. Well after taking almost another week off for the holidays.. I went to workout tonight. I decided since I had some pain the night before sitting at a computer on a bar table at my parents and having discomfort and aching pain in my shoulder just from the angle that it was at that I'd try and find what hurts and what doesn't and try to figure out what was going on. After doing a lot of research on the internet tonight I've come to the conclusion that I have torn my teres minor but I dont know to what extent.

I dont know if I completely tore my muscle or just partial/real bad sprain. I would go to a doctor, but I just lost my medical last month (didn't use it the whole time I had it so ofcourse as soon as I dont...) So, I can feel the spot where the muscle is not as large on the injured side as on the opposite side like something is even missing maybe. When I push down on this spot with my index, I can do motions of flapping above my head with arms bent with no pain at all and arm extented out across chest arm raises from hip to above head no pain. However, If I dont push on the exact spot, I get a pinching feeling and slight pain of about 2-3 (maybe 4-5 but just generally isnt that painful) along with that I get a definate feeling of instability. Another motion I notice the pinch is if I lift my arm to a baseball throwing motion.. just a slight pinch. I did notice when I threw a down court pass with a basketball last week a pretty good pain when trying to abruptly stop my arm to release the ball.

What I need to know from anyone w/ experience is does this sound like a complete tear or what. I would say since I can do these motions albeit with pain that the teres minor would not be completely torn, but then I know that the infraspinitus assists in pretty much all the motions that teres minor makes. I found a combination of 3 excercise/stretches that are supposed to help recovery of a rotator cuff, but do not know if they work w/ major tears, minor tears/sprains, or just minor injuries. Here is the link actually, (youtube search "3 Shoulder Exercises for Rotator Cuff Injuries by Citihealth" wont let me post link as I dont have enough posts quite yet.)

Any thoughtful advice is appreciated and I don't need to hear.. go to a doctor.. I know I need that but dont have the medical or the money to do so. IE... why I am here asking.
no one?