Three Month Old Avulsion Fracture
My 16 year old has an avulsion fracture on the outside of his ankle. He was in a cast for 4 weeks then out for two then back in cast for another 4 weeks and he's now out of the cast for 3 weeks. He still has pain and swelling and pain when you touch the area. The doctor said most people go on and do fine with this fracture even though there is no new bone growth to reattach the piece of broken bone. It's been three months, will this require surgery or should we give it more time to heal.
How is your son doing?
Fractures of the distal end of the fibula and tibia are termed ankle fractures.
Pain medication and elevation should be prescribed. All ankle fractures should be splinted in a neutral position acutely.
Patients should be kept non-weight-bearing on the affected side until pain has subsided and some signs of fracture healing appear on follow-up radiographs.
If your son does not have any pain relief then you should go back to the surgeon and discuss with him the issue. You should also ask the surgeon to get imaging study done to see for fracture healing.
If the fracture still persists or if there are no signs of growth then you should be consenting for surgery for proper alignment and healing.
If there are signs of healing then probably you should be give some more time for fracture healing to occur.
Meanwhile your child could be started on calcium supplements.
Keep me posted if you have any queries.
Bye.