Orthopedics Community
Thumb Injury!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Thumb Injury!

I practice Kendo which is pretty much Japanese Fencing. Unfortunately I was stuck on my thumb with one of the bamboo swords that we practice with really hard. As far as I know the thumb never got bent wrong or over extended. This happened almost 3 weeks ago and the pain has only increased since the initial injury. I have also continued to spar a few times since then and my thumb has received a little more abuse. Earlier tonight in particular it took another bad shot and its hurting worse then ever now. It doesn't really seem swollen or bruised at all, although there is a little pink "spot" right where the pain feels the worse. All of the pain is located around the joint that connects my thumb to my hand if that makes any sense. I have no pain in the joint closest to my thumb nail. It hurts my when something pressures or resistance is placed on my thumb. Like when I have to hold something in-between my thumb and my index finger, or if I use my thumb to press against something. It also really hurts if bend my thumb down, such as by pressing down on my thumb nail when my thumb is bent, or by making a fist but tucking my thumb under my fingers. Sorry if my descriptions are not that good. It also hurts even if I keep my joint still but just press or squeeze on my thumb around that area. I don't currently have any insurance so I can't go to the doctor or get it x-rayed. But I don't want to leave this unchecked and have something permanently happen to my thumb. Do you think it could be broken or fractured or is it probably just sprained? Any advise on what I should do with it? Thanks...
Hello Dear,
Thumb injury results from both direct and indirect trauma. The tendon avulsion injuries are often secondary to avulsion of the extensor tendon at its terminal insertion into the distal phalanx. The tendon may pull off a fragment of bone resulting in a "bony" mallet thumb deformity. [Reference- http://www.emedicine.com/plastic/byname/hand-fracture-and-dislocations--thumb.htm]

Is the pain consistently increasing?
Is there associated swelling?
An X ray would only rule out the type of injury and further determine the course of management.

Moreover, take some painkiller like ibuprofen or aspirin and give support and rest to the thumb.

Best.
Take care