Thumb Won't Bend in the Mornings
Every morning when I wake up, my right thumb will not bend. I have to try a couple of times before eventually snapping it, basically "cracking the knuckle".  It is only my right thumb, and it is only after sleeping.  I have no problems throughout the day.  It never gets "stuck" while using it or even when I'm not using it while I'm awake. Its been like for a very long time, but since it causes no pain and fingers snapping here and there is normal, I didn't think much about it. But now I'm starting to get concerned that as I get older it may become a bigger problem (i.e. arthritis). FYI - I am a 29 year old male. Any suggestions or advice?
Hello!

The morning stiffness can be due to rheumatoid arthritis or Rheumatic fever or any other metabolic disorder of the joint. It can also be due to thyroid or any endocrine problems.

I would suggest you to go for an X-ray and also recall if you had an injury in the past. If you are in pain take intermittent NSAIDs and go for other blood tests if required to come to a diagnosis. For a proper diagnosis follow up with an orthopedician and start the best course of therapy.

Take care!
What should I do if I have no insurance and my right hand is abnormal from birth and tore the ligament so it I almost crippled now my left thumb got stuck yesterday and I straighten out but now won't bend I live in Oc was denied medicare when I applied at social serives and am unable to use either hand my e- mail marvelfrankie at hot mail .com

You could also have trigger thumb. If you research there are some conservative methods you can try to help resolve if this is the problem.  I have had some trigger fingers in the past anthey always started like that in the am then became worse some responded to anti inflamotries some cortisone injections and others i had to have surgically released.
Anyway that is just another thought of what it could be.  Good luck and I hope you feel better.
I have the same problem with my right thumb, but mine DOES get "stuck" during the day.

Once I can straighten it, its still vERY tender and the pain resonantes down my thumb to the base, into the hand itself (the fatty part of hand by thumb).

The pain is so bad that I cannot open a bottle or jar, or pull my jeans up, and any use at all is almost impossible. The upper joint gets stuck, but the joint by my palm is sore to touch & its constantly swollen. There, it feels almost "bruised" & the bone that is at the base of the thumb on the palm side, when pressed, hurts so bad it brings tears to my eyes.

I have insurance, but want to start at the right doctor rather than get the runaround. I also have RSD in my hands and arms, so CANNOT have injections or EMG's. I want to be sure the doctor can determine if its arthritis, injury, something else, or worse is its the progression of the RSD.

Which type of doctor should I go to?
I am going through the same thing. It hurts so bad at times. I keep a finger mobilizer on it,once I'm done working, going to the ER tomorrow. I was curious in what u found out about your thumb. I'm only 43 and a single mom. Can't afford to miss work, in which my job is consistent thumb work. House Cleaning. Believe after 16 years in the biz...this is the root of the prob. Did u hv Osteoarthritis?