Thumb nail pain

My name's Alberto, I'm 32, and for as long as I can remember I've had an issue with my left thumb, in that even a small impact or pressure, at the right spot, causes really intense, prolonged pain, that requires my full attention for several seconds. There's no visible damage or alteration, or discernible difference to the right thumb, so pictures are pretty useless. It's something one gets used to, but I'm getting fed up with it. Makes me look crazy, clinching my thumb in agony for even small touches with no visible trauma.

The precise spot is on the far left side of the nail root, or just before the fold. Perhaps at the matrix, or very near. It's about a 1/2 cm radius spot.

Any suggestion as to what it might be?

Hey Alberto!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include fractures, avascular necrosis, infections, inflammations etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!