Orthopedics Community
Tibia Titanium Rod Removal Athlete

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Tibia Titanium Rod Removal Athlete

Hello, Im 17 years old, almost 18 and when i was 14 i had broken my tibia and fibula in a football game and gotten a titanium rod placed  in my tibia. i left it in following the doctors advice and ever since then i have had really bad leg pain and shin splints whenever i would run, sometimes even walk. i play running back and im starting to limp when i sprint and its making me quite slow. the pain is bad. If i were to get the rod removed would this pain most likely go away?
hi kyle,
I am having similar problems, when i was 17 i broke both tib and fib in a baseball game and had a rod inserted.  doctor insructed me to keep it in.  i wrestled through high school and college with it like that.  I am now 21 and in the navy, and still hurts to this day.  I am comtemplating getting it taken out, im sure it would help.