Orthopedics Community
Tibia and Fibula Break

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Tibia and Fibula Break

My husband has broken his tibia and fibula. the doctor has given us options 1st option is to have a cast from him hip to his foot for 6 weeks then a short cast for 4 weeks then he will splint it with no weight bearing for the 1st 6 weeks.  2nd option is to have the metal rod put in his bones to help with the healing process no weight bearing for 6 weeks a removal cast... with lots of Physical Therapy. Total healing time possibly 6 months to a year. He is not real sure about the metal rod in his leg he is afraid it wont heal right and he will be in more pain afterwards because of the rod and screws.and then the other surgeries he will have to have.  I am wanting some feed back about pros and cons verus casts and the metal rod. If anyone has any comments please let me know.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

These are two types of approach.

If he wants to go conservative then a below knee cast and rest to let the bones heal is the best option. This is a natural way and depends on the age, type of fracture for recovery.

If he is aggressive in his approach and wants to go to work faster and there are no options to try to have a natural recovery then he should go for the surgery.

Surgery is an option even after the conservative approach fails.
Take a second opinion on the type of fracture and go ahead.

Take care!