Orthopedics Community
Tibia fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Tibia fracture

5 months ago I fell off my motorcycle and broke my tibia. I had to have surgery, I was given an external fixation for 4months and then a cast for 4weeks.
I have now removed my cast, and the x-ray showed that my tibia fracture had recovered and formed but is still 10 degrees bent. I am now undergoing physio 3times weekly. Will I be able to be active as I was playing footie etc after recovery, will it be a long term damage, my leg also looks bent.
Will the physio improve things over the next couple of weeks?
How are you feeling?
I feel with help of active physiotherapy and analgesics you can attain good recovery. I think as your tibia has healed with 10 degree bent, this would remain bent. You can help this with help of bracing and physiotherapy and get imaging study at regular interval to see for progress of tibial angulations.
I am positive about physiotherapy.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Thank you for the reply on the 7th Feb, regarding my tibia fracture.
I had another x-ray on friday, which revelealed that my tibia has up to 15 degrees angulation and not 10 degrees, as they thought at first. They still carried on saying with physio, I will hopefully be alright. I am not convinced though, as I think 15 degrees angulation will affect me in the future. I am a floor fitter, where I'm on my knees all day.
Any advice or recommendations?
I will be very grateful
One way of correcting the angulations is by selective distraction as suggested by Ilizarov.
Angular correction is achieved simply by selective unequal lengthening, and appropriate distraction of callus at a site of nonunion can be used to correct angular deformity as well as to obtain length.
This procedure is a tedious procedure and will take long time for correction.
Other procedures include Osteotomies to help in angulations.
Currently you can continue with bracing and physiotherapy. Physiotherapy you can plan to help you in angulations.
Bye.
Hi my 22 month old daughter fractured her tibia while on a trampoline and was in an above knee cast for 5 weeks. she had the cast removed 5 days ago and is walking unaided but slowly for 2 days. she appears to walk very awkwardly with her foot turned outwards at a 45degree angle. is this something to worry about or will it right itself as the muscles get stronger?
thanks for your help
Angela