Orthopedics Community
Tingling thumb and first two fingers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Tingling thumb and first two fingers

I am a 52 year old female.  I am healty only taking vitamin D.  I have tingling in my thumb and first two fingers that is so severe it will wake me up at night and radiates up my right arm.  It actually tingles so much it hurts.  I tried to take some pain med for it but it doesn't really help there is no position or movement that seems to make it better.  At night when it wakes me up, I can only rub my hand and arm and try to get relief, most of the time I have to take Ibruprophen or something and wait for it to start to work before there is any change and I can get even a little comfortable.  Does anyone know what might be causing this condition?  I know it isn't carple tunnel syndrom (syndrome).  Thanks...
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello Cyndi500,
how are you?
Can i know , why do you think, it's not carpal tunnel syndrome?
Because if someone of your age will come to me, give me a same history and will have atrophy of the palm region(as compared to other palm), i willthink of Carpal tunnel syndrome as the first diagnosis. Only if i rule out this disease, i will go for other causes.

So , i will advice you to do a NCV(Nerve conduction Velocity) study at the earliest and tell me about the result.

Please feel free to ask more questions,
regards
abhijeet
A neighbor of mine just had symptoms similar to these.  He ended up  going to the hospital and they told him he has a pinched nerve in his neck/shoulder area.  After surgery, the problem was fixed.

I recommend going to the doctor and having it checked out.
Hi,  What is the test you asked me to get?  The reason I don't think it is carpal Tunel is not very scientific but here is the explaination.  My sister has been diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel and when I hold my hand/wrist the way she does, her hand will go numb/tingle and mine will not, her pain seems more confined to her hand and doesn't really radiate up her arm toward the shoulder. I can use my computer and that doesn't bring on the pain, it comes at completely different times.  I go to the gym and have been doing the eliptical machine, the movement that this requires seems to give me relief from the pain/tingling for a while,although I am having to go each day to get this relief, I think it is longer before I need advil again.  I am wondering if this is truly helping or causing something else.  Thank you so much for this help.  Cyndi500  PS I think I posted this wrong with another question.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
hi cyndi,
did you do your NCV?
the test which you are talking about is "Phalen's Test"

keep me informed,
regards
abhijeet
Good Morning,

I have an appointment with a general doc on 03-16-09, hopefully for referal for the test.  Although, the eliptical machine seems to help me more and more, My arm didn't wake me up last night, this morning I can kind of feel it might start hurting, but nothing like it was before.  I don't think I will need any motrin right now, the last I took was yesterday around lunch.  Because of my schedule, I can't go do the elipitcal machine today so will probably need more Motrin.

I will keep you posted about the test.  Thank you so much.....Cyndi500
Avatar_dr_m_tn
hi buddy,
all the best.
regards