Orthopedics Community
Titanium Rod Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Titanium Rod Removal

I'm 20, and broke my tibia/fibula in 2006 when I was 17 and had a titanium rod and 2 screws inserted. I had issues with my big toe bending down when I lifted my foot and caused me great pain, so I had a surgery a year later to lengthen that tendon and release my toe. At that time, they also took out the lower screw.

I now have pain about 1/3 of the way up my lower leg where the original break was, and also very painful tendinitis in my knee. I have seen my surgeon, and he has suggested removing the top screw to maybe ease the tendinitis, and possibly removing the rod for the leg pain.

When he suggests these things, he seems very unsure whether they are going to actually help.
I was just wondering whether to remove the rod and screw, or just the screw, and what the chances are of the surgery actually helping the pain.
My surgeon suggested that the recovery time for the rod removal was similar to that of the original break, so I was leaning away from the rod removal...

Any help would be great!
Thanks!
I had the rod and the last 2 screws removed last week. my recovery has been nothing like the initial one. Meaning I am already walking without crutches. I do have a sligth pain in the knee are but it's part of the heeling process.
A healthy diet and physio/ exercising pending your capabilities is essential to the heeling process. You are still young and should be able to bounce back. I had my tibial rod for 13 months prior to it's removal last week.
Im 19 years old, broke my tibia and fibia when i was 15 racing motocross, i was put in a cast, but i had broken my tibia again inside the cast as it was trying to heal, so my doctor suggested putting it back in the cast or trying a intramedullary rod surgery for guranteed results. So we had the surgery, now a couple years down the road im very much regreting the surgery, i have pain from time to time in my leg and where the screw is at. Also only one screw was placed in at the top, should there of been another screw put in? Ive been having some anxiety about it lately and considering having it removed?? Also ive never heard of a 15 year old having this kind of surgery for a broken bone, was this an uneccessary surgery?
I broke my tibia and fiblua when i was 16. I had the rod put in in january then it was removed that same december. My recovery time was really fast. I  had the surgury on teh 22nd and was walking without crutches by christmas. The pain wasn't nearly as bad as the original break. However, now that I had it removed my leg hurts whenever I play soccer, when before, when i had the rod, it didn't. I'm not sure what the problem is.. or if it has anything to do with the removal, but there you go. hope it helped.
Im 27 and I had the tibia rod in for 15 months with the 4 screws etc after a bad motorbike crash.  I had all the gear removed 3 weeks ago and up until then, I couldnt run/jump and the leg would get sore through the pins if I stood for too long.  The original break took about 6 months to get over and the screws supporting the rod were sore the entire time.

After getting it all taken out, I was on crutches for 2 days, and 2 weeks later I was running on a treadmill.  My leg feels totally normal after getting it removed and I reccommend you to do the same.  The recovery time was nothing like the original break at all.  Nobody likes the idea of operations but I cant believe the difference it has made!!!  DO IT!
HI all, i am a 28 yr old male and have just had a tibia nail and 4 screws removed after 11 months of having it originally inserted.  First signs are that it went well, i have experienced alot of bleeding as the doctor said the empty canal is the "blood bank" of the body and is common.  On a pain scale the the knee is the only pain i am getting and is similar to when the nail was inserted, however i can walk alot easier on crutches and it is only 24 hours post op.  Good luck to everyone
I had the rod(nail) inserted as my tibia broke in a bike accident on 2002 when i was 21 years old.
only two screws were used one in top and one in bottom, during 2009 and 2010 i use to go jogging with the rod :) Later i felt i should remove it as i like participating in cross country races
Finally i removed it after 8.5 years and now I'm asked not to do any kind of sports activities for a year of time as safety measures.
It just needs 15 days including surgery, later you can walk normally but its not suggested to kick start a bike with the leg for at least a month of time.
Important
Rod(nail) can be kept in for life long but plates have to be removed after two years of time is what doctor told me when i approached a Orthopedic specialist to remove the nail.
I'm 21 old had a severe injury to my left leg tibia & fibula in motor bike accident got hit a lorry.. Broken Tibia bone came out making a hole in my skin, i had lost blood...  Then i has surgery after 12 hrs, with a rod &  2 nails inserted only for Tibia, but they did nothing to broken fibula...

Now after 11 months, I'm walking normally but still i cant run, jump & unable to climb stairs quickly...

Please tell me,
1. when can i run & able climb stairs quickly?
2. Should i go for a surgery to remove the rod & nails?
3. Why did doctors didn't inserted rod for fibula?  

Please tell me,
I am a professional dancer and had a tibial rod put in my left leg January 2010 due to a grade 4 anterior stress fracture. I have been unable to run or jump, let alone dance, since then and have a lot of pain right above my ankle. I decided yesterday to have the nail and screw removed, but I am still hesitant about going forward with this. I could definitely use any feedback out there. My left leg is obviously a very important part of my career and I need to make the right decision. Thank you for any advice.
My son is 14 and broke his tibia and fibula. He also has a metal rod and 6 screws. You said you were 15 when you had the accident, and you were 19 when you had it removed, was it difficult for the doctor to remove that rod. And what can I expect my son to feel. He has the metal rod and screws for about a week now, what kind of feelings are to be expected in the months to come, years to come. Please respond thanks.
Aida
Age is on his side! & most probably he will have no problems.This injury happened to me when I was 40 & while I have had a number of issues frustration was (is) at the top of that list.If your son is active that will be his biggest hurdle as well. I know it's really hard to not wrap our kids up in bubble wrap but try to let your son be as active as he can be.Also be mindful of how restricting this would be to you never mind being 14 and all that entails.  I had my hardware taken out apprx.18 months after my injury & it was really no big deal. The best advice that I could give to anyone for this injury is to start PT as soon as possible & work on that ROM. Good luck to you and your son!
i'm 17, i broke my tibia and fibular last july, going to have the titanium rod removed in september, so i can continue horse riding without having to worry about falling off and shattering my leg, (been riding since six weeks after my accident but have had to be careful) does anyone know about what will happen, eg will i have to have it in plaster or will it just be a quick job and back to normal??
Hi there! The surgery to remove the hardware is no biggie at all. As with any surgery there are risks but if the surgery is uneventful you will only have a few sutures & will only need crutches for a very short period of time if at all. Plus,you have age on your side! Good luck to you!
Does anyone know if titanium causes a reaction that produces muscle cramping? I have two rods and screws and tie wraps that repaired a spiral fracture in my femur. Some times the cramps are enough to make me scream.
I broke my tib and fib also 8 month ago and I am back running however I cannot jump on my bad leg. I go to the gym 3 times a week which has really strengthened it. I was told I have to get the rod removed in 8 more months and I do not have a choice not to, even tho my surgeon told me I would have it for life. However everybody I know has had theyr rod out and ther leg is stronger than ever
I am 65 years old and was in an accident that crushed my femur. After it had healed enough ( a year) I was able to learn to walk again. 15 years later the femur broke and a rod was inserted.  Now 20 years later I need to have knee replacement and the dr says the rod comes down so low it will interfere with the new knee and he will have to back the rod out of the femur in order to replace the knee.  I am scared and I am also in a great deal of pain with the knee.  I want so badly to resume a normal life.  I have been dealing with this accident for 40 years.  Does the bone grow to the titanium rod?  He seems to think he can remove the three screws and back out the rod?  Seems simple but scared me.  Anyone been thru this?
Hi I have a spiral fracture on my tubular and fibular I have  two plates and 10 pins to start with, then two separate operations had two pins removed. Had a ski accident on the 3 rd January 2013, just returned to work as bored out of my mind. Leg & ankle are still very swollen and the pain is terrible....is this normal. It's very tender to touch and sometimes hot, not sleeping due to pain please help.xx