Orthopedics Community
Toenail layers growing on top of each other

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I have a bizarre problem. About 2 months ago, I noticed that my middle toenail on my right foot was growing layers and now there are a few layers making my toenail look like a ball of nails. There was a black spot that was on my actual toe when i noticed this that did peel off, which must have been dry blood that was there for some reason.

I have no pain whatsoever, but of course if i try to cut it.... it hurts. Anyone have any advice? Appreciate anything.

Thanks.
Hello royalking18,

You are having the typical overgrown toenail problem. There might have been some superficial trauma to the toenail in the recent past. If the pain still persists you need to consult a surgeon who might advice the surgical excision of the same.

Best
Thanks for the reply. It only hurts when I try to cut it, since there are several layers. Would soaking it in hot water help to eventually soften it enough to clip off?

Thanks again.