Too late to remove hardware? Risks vs Benefits
I am 61 years old. I broke my left ankle in1990 and still have the plate, screws, and bolts. I have some alignment problems that partially stem (not sure to what degree) from the ankle.

Eight years ago I was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). I also developed an allergy to metals and can't wear earrings. Lymphs have stayed in the  slightly above normal range and I have had no treatment or obvious symptoms.

I have arthritis in cervical and lumbar disks and some stenosis.

I am concerned that the hardware is creating/causing inflammation although it causes no pain unless bumped.

Is it too late to have it removed? I have no pain but slight warmth and swelling and foot turns to the left.

Thank you.

I
Hi there!

Though one could get it removed anytime, the hardware used is usually made of an inert metal such as titanium or steel and is unlikely to cause inflammation especially when it has been there for a longer time. The lymphocytosis could be a part of the CLL.
Hope this information is helpful.

Take care!