Orthopedics Community
Torn Calf Muscle: hard bruise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Torn Calf Muscle: hard bruise

I tore a calf muscle 8 days ago. It was swollen badly (felt full of liquid) and I was only able to limp around using crutches. I have been doing RICE (rest, ice, etc) and the swelling is now 99% gone.

I have no real pain (just occasional light feeling of tightness or a dull ache).
I am able to do small stretching exercises (pointing toes upward, straightening the leg slowly).
I can walk with a little more mobility but still use crutches and don't try to load the calf muscle fully.

My question is: I can feel a hard "strip" over the side of the calf (small area just below the knee, like a half moon). It's quite tender to the touch. There is bruising there, surrounded by yellow hue on the skin (which does not hurt)

Is the hardness going to eventually go away on its own, as I exercise the calf with simple stretches and massages? Or do I really need to get ultra sound, etc from an actual physical therapist.

Thank you so much for any info.
Hi there!

Though the lump is likely to be a haematoma which is likely to subside with time; I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician to look for the type and extent of injury (it could be more than a small muscle injury) and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!