Orthopedics Community
Torn Left Pectoral Surgery
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Torn Left Pectoral Surgery

Hello,

I suffered a pec rupture appx 11 days ago while wrestling in a tournament.  Went to my ortho and got an MRI  just 5 days after the injury.  Results showed a complete tear and my doctor recommended surgery.  Had surgery earlier today and afterwards the doctor notified my mother that the actual injury was a muscle-muscle tear and he sewed it back together "as best as he could".  I'm concerned because i have read this type of tear should not be operated on and would only cause more atrophy to my shoulder and triceps while my arm is not being used for so long.  I am also concerned about a high risk of re-tearing it because of how unstable sewing muscle to muscle is.  I am very active and coach high school wrestling (im 23).  Obviously i have to let my body heal since the surgery is done, but i'm just thinking if i never had the surgery i could be able to exercise a lot sooner than with the surgery.  I don't care about the strength of my chest, although i do lift 5x a week, however wrestling and staying fit is my main concern in life, not chest strength.  I will contact my doctor asap to ask these questions and have a follow up friday.  Any input would be greatly appreciated as i'm pretty bummed about this.  Thanks.

Brandon