Orthopedics Community
Torn Meniscus, but no pain upon impact
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Torn Meniscus, but no pain upon impact

Hello,
Two years ago, a sharp impact after doing a front flip (I do gymnastics and parkour), I felt a sharp pain in my right knee. After 3-4 months of babying it, the only pain I felt was an aching pain in my knee when I bent it completely after working out. Just yesterday I had an MRI and found out today that I have a meniscus tear near the back of my knee, and a baker's cyst. During the past 2 years, other than those first 3-4 months, I've been very active and have continued doing my high impact activities, and I mean very high impact (flipping off of 5 foot high obstacles, etc.). I have absolutely no pain during the activities that I do. I'm leaving the country for 13 weeks very soon so I am not going through surgery until I return. I'm wondering if it is safe for me to continue my activities, being that I have no pain at all during them, it's just the stretching afterwords.

Thank you in advance
1711789_tn?1361311607

Hi there!

A surgery is not necessarily required for either a meniscal tear or a baker’s cyst. If there are no symptoms as such, specific management would not be required. The post activity discomfort is unlikely to be related to these; though it would be best to discuss the level of activity that you could undertake and the expected prognosis and management plan, with your treating orthopedician after taking into consideration the extent of injury/ tear.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Orthopedics Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979