Orthopedics Community
Torn Meniscus in both knees/bakers cyst/plantar facitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I am in my mid forties and have a job where I have to be on my feet.  I am also very active and do olympic weightlifting.  Right now, I have a torn meniscus in each knee...one from about 5 years ago and I am not sure how old the other one is.  I have had MRIs on both knees.  My right knee has been really bad lately and I have developed a baker's cyst, and have plantar facitis in my right foot.  It was recommended to me to "wait and see' if the meniscus will heal on its own with added cortisone shots.  My question is, considering my lifestyle, would it be better to have the surgery than the wait and see approach?  And if it does get better now, is there still a chance that it will act up in the future?  I am not doing any lower body lifting, but would someday like to return to that part of my sport.
Thank you for your help with this!