Orthopedics Community
Torn Patellar Tendon - How to Treat??????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I tore my patellar tendon while surfing about 6 months ago. I went to a doc and had an MRI done that showed I had partially torn the tendon. The doctor said surgery was not necessary and to just do physical therapy. So I went to a physical therapist for 3 weeks and was shown different exercises/stretches to do. I stopped going to save $$ and decided I would just continue doing the exercises/stretches that I was taught.

The past 4 months I have done these exercises/stretches and iced when necessary, but have not seen much improvement. My knee often aches after doing the exercises and I am worried they may be doing more harm than good. I haven't ran/surfed in months, yet it still won't heal enough for me to begin running and surfing again. I recently went snowboarding for 2 full days and could barely walk after each day due to knee pain.

Has anybody dealt with this issue before? What specific things can I do to speed up the healing process? For the past week I have not done any leg exercises to see if it may help.
Hi!
Conservative treatment such as rest, cold compress and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs often fail in case of torn patellar tendon (even in case of partial tears). Also, you must not attempt sports like snow boarding etc on a torn patellar tendon.
You need a MRI of the knee joint and a second consultation with an orthopedic specialist. You may need surgery. Else you may need to continue conservative treatment for another 3-4 months. However all active sports, running, jogging should be avoided during this time. Your snow boarding activity could have harmed the healing process further.
Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.