Orthopedics Community
Torn Pectoralis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Torn Pectoralis?

Several months ago I fell while waterskiing, and when I hit the water my arm was pulled back really hard (hyperabduction). I had pain in my pectoralis muscles, running up into the armpit. I also had tingling sensations in my thumb, and first two fingers. The symptoms lasted several weeks. There was no swelling or bruising. The tingling was at its worst with external rotation of my shoulder, but seemed to resolve within several weeks. I thought I had recovered reasonably well. But more recently, I began to have significant pain returning in the region behind the pectoralis major, around the side a bit, and up toward the armpit. And I'm getting a disturbing "funny bone" feeling in my hand for no other apparent reason. I'm almost certain the pectoralis major is fine. And the circulation to my arm is fine. The pain is much more consistent with location of the pectoralis minor, or anterior serratus, and activities that aggravate the pain seem to be those that enlist the use of the pectoralis minor. My shoulder blade and shoulder function seem completely normal and pain free. I imagine there may be some tearing of the muscle, plus inflammation or scar tissue near the insertion of the pectorial minor that is compressing the brachial plexus causing the nerve symptoms that I feel in my hand.

I am very frightened about this. Does anybody have experience with an injury of this type? does it require surgery if a tear is found? Does a surgical proceedure even exist for pectoralis minor? I have not yet had any diagnostic tests, but as usual I tend to fear the worst. I posted this question to the neuro forum but it was either deleted or never posted. I could really use some words of advice and/or encouragement. I will be seeing a doctor as soon as possible of course, but in the mean time I hope this forum may offer some help or just comforting advice. Thanks so much for reading!
Hello, I am no doctor but form what you described I have the exact same injury.  Since I am in the military it has taken over a month to see a ORTHO surgeon who either had no clue or wasn't interested in seeing me.  I am going to be sent to some else for a second opinion on whether I need surgery or not.  I would be interested to hear what you were told.  Good luck.
You sound probably like a medical personnel.
Now to comment on the  diagnosis would be certainly difficult without a clinical examination. With the history you have posted, compression on the brachial plexuses is unlikely as they are slightly higher above the location.
The neural structures that  come across  are the branches from the brachial plexuses.
Since you are specific in naming pectoralis minor movements are painful, inflammatory pathology can be thought . Probably it may be lymphadenitis.
It would be advisable to have a course of muscle relaxants for couple of days and restrict your physical activities.

On consultation with your doctor, antibiotics if necessary based on diagnosis can be started.