Torn calf muscle
Yesterday I was taking a step aerobics class when all of the sudden I felt like something hit me in the back of my left calf. I then had severe pain and had to limp out of class. this morning I noticed a bruise on the calf. I went to a walk in clinic, where the doctor quickly examined my leg and said it was a strain (feels more like a torn muscle to me). She gave me crutches, said to keep elevated and ice the calf for 5-7 days and see an orthopedist if not better after that. My question is- can the doctor determine the extent of the tear without an MRI? And was this good advice or should I have gone direclty to an ortho doctor? Thanks..
Hi there!

Possibly not with precision but can get a fair idea based on a physical exam. I would take it as good advice at a primary level; and even in the case of an extensive tear, delay in management by a week would not make much of a difference.
Hope this helps.

Take care!