Orthopedics Community
Torn calf muscle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Torn calf muscle

Yesterday I was taking a step aerobics class when all of the sudden I felt like something hit me in the back of my left calf. I then had severe pain and had to limp out of class. this morning I noticed a bruise on the calf. I went to a walk in clinic, where the doctor quickly examined my leg and said it was a strain (feels more like a torn muscle to me). She gave me crutches, said to keep elevated and ice the calf for 5-7 days and see an orthopedist if not better after that. My question is- can the doctor determine the extent of the tear without an MRI? And was this good advice or should I have gone direclty to an ortho doctor? Thanks..
Hi there!

Possibly not with precision but can get a fair idea based on a physical exam. I would take it as good advice at a primary level; and even in the case of an extensive tear, delay in management by a week would not make much of a difference.
Hope this helps.

Take care!