Torn muscle in arm
Hi, I hope I have come to the right forum...

My husband has torn a muscle in the upper arm. He's awaiting further diagnosis but it is taking time. As it is right now he's gotten NSAIDS and a gel to linger pain. He's got a big lump (probably parts of the torn muscle) on the inside of his elbow and one in the armpit. A muscle that tears is like a rubber band snapping.

I am irritated that it takes so long to get the ultrasound and biopsy done but I realize there are things that are worse...

Can anyone tell me what happens when he's gotten the diagnose? Is the muscle-piece that's injured going to be surgically removed or will it be untangled and sutured up?

He did only lift too heavy to help a lady on his work-team (because she had backproblems), so it's not an actual sport injury, rather occupational injury.

Thank you in advance,
Hill
Hello!

For any soft tissue the best scans are MRI where the torn muscle or tendon can be identified.

Conservative treatment can be tried, by applying ice packs and taking NSAIDs and rest initially.

After that you can follow up with physiotherapy. If the tear is of Grade III or severe then he might need surgery.

I would suggest you to follow up with an orthopedician after your scans.

Take care!
Very informative. It feels quite unfair that my husband has to wait so long, but I understand that the hospital needs to prioritize. Also, to get an MR-scan he's got to travel 140 km so initial assessment falls on the easier, cheaper x-ray. If nothing is seen on x-ray, they go for ultrasound. Local hospital, limited gear... It is soon 4 weeks since he injured the arm, but it took him 3 weeks to decide whether to seek aid for it or not.

Thank you