Orthopedics Community
Trimalleolar fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Trimalleolar fracture

Hello
I fell 5 feet and landed on my right ankle breaking it (tri-malleolar fracture), this was 4 months ago. I had surgery the morning after my accident. A plate with 8 screws on the outside of my ankle and 2 long screws on the inside. I'm still in physical therapy although coming to an end, only one week left. My problem is I still have alot of pain when walking or standing for more than a few minutes. Also numbness from the knee down but mostly on the inside of my ankle and foot into the toes. I also have tingling sensation in my foot from time to time. My biggest concern though is the severe pain in my toes. My toes ache and feel swollen and puffy although they don't really look swollen. I where a dynasplint at night and I'm taking elavil at night but it doesn't seem to be helping. Should I be concerned about this or this just normal for this type of injury?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
This is due to the constant irritation of you nerves and tendons in your foot, while standing & walking. The whole body weight is supported by foot and all the tendons of the leg muscles are inserted in your leg bones and with this fracture and the screws and all the foreign bodies inserted inside you are having constant irritation with standing/walking etc. So you have to take pain killers and learn how to support your weight and decrease your pain slowly, your Physiotherapist can explain it to you. Take care!