Ulnar neuritis
Last Tuesday morning I woke up with a half-numb pinky and half ring-finger, which has since gone almost completely numb (without the pinching sensation, just almost complete lack of touch). Had an electromyography (emg results:
http://i51.tinypic.com/141ju9y.png) which, according to the doctor, showed ulnar neuritis, which he addressed to having my elbow touch the desk while i'm on the computer (which is several hours per day). I've modified my stance on the desk and added a padding for my forearm to sit on and have been doing some stretches, but it actually is doing worse.

I'm having trouble keeping my elbow straight in my sleep which might be the reason it's not getting any better. I usually find myself with my hand wrapped under my pillow etc.
I'll be trying to keep it straight by putting it inside a pillow tonight and see how that works, but I'd be open to more/better advice that might help my rehab.
Is there any estimated rehab time considering my age of 22 and the fact the numbness has only been happening for almost a week (and overall combined with friction issues 3 months) so I know when I'm "out of schedule" on my rehab?

At the moment I feel that my ulnar nerve is really sensitive, my bottom palm goes completely numb and pinches if I rest my elbow on the desk for more than 3 seconds.

I've watched a certain video where it explained how tight tissues around the elbow can even cause it to tilt as well as cause ulnar nerve issues. Is this accurate? I should probably add that I'm working out and my elbows have to take care of weights of up to 105kg's (have stopped working out for a week now)

My doctor suggested 2 weeks of medrol and celebrex as well as complete rest. Are the two first really necessary, and the best solution? Also does that EMG show "severe nerve damage" as my doc suggested, or is it a more mild case?

Regards,
Steffan
Hey Steffan!

The nerve conduction study is in a foreign language, though with the numbers it does not appear to be a very severe damage. It may take a few weeks for the inflammatory process to subside. Medrol and celebrex are not absolutely necessary but highly advised, since these would take care of the inflammation and the discomfort. Yes, most causes of ulnar neuritis are due to pressure/ irritation at the elbow and hence adequate rest and proper positioning is important for healing. You may try wearing a crepe bandage to keep the elbow from bending. If one fails to respond to conservative management, interventional techniques such as steroid injections or surgery may be tried.
Hope this was useful.

Take care!
Hello, thanks for the quick reply, the greek part in the results are mostly my name and the diagnosis ("ulnar neuritis on left elbow").

Also I have to add I have no pain at all at this point, 1 week after the numbness began.
I was thinking of taking just the celebrex and skiping medrol so I stick to non-steroidal treatment, would that be a bad idea?
Hi again!

These are not particularly pain medications but help would help take care of the inflammatory process. Celebrex may not be as effective as Medrol. Two weeks is a very short duration of treatment to suffer from side effects and I would not advise discontinuing them before the advised time.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Thanks again, last question:

How low should I keep my salt and sugar intake exactly?
Having 0 salt intake as my doctor suggested makes eating quite a chore :(

Plus I don't mind some extra water retention which will go away after a while anyway.
I really do not believe that these are required for a two week medication intake, unless you are on a high dose or have a primary glucose intolerance. However a few doctors do advocate the dietary changes; while I would rather suggest a minimal salt intake rather than 0 intake, though the carbohydrate intake may be needed to be kept at the lower end. Two weeks post discontinuation of the medication should be a good space.

Take care!
A small update, I took a 2nd doctor's opinion who suggested 2 weeks of medrol would be too much, and that I should only take it for 3 days. Isn't that a bit too short a period? Perhaps 5-6 days would be more ideal, followed up by few days of half dosage?
So while my left hand is healing, it now happened on my right side when I woke up this morning (probably slept on it). Normally I would let it go for a day before getting worried, but the thing is only my ring finger is numb, not my pinky, and I think its the whole ring finger, not just the bottom side of it. Is that even possible nerve-wise?

Also, as I said my neuritis on the left hand is healing, but I still got this wierd touch sensation on my pinky (the sensation has been the same the past 2 months, its not really fading). It's now almost 3 months since the issue arised; how much should I wait before considering visiting a doctor about it?