Orthopedics Community
Undiagnosed back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Undiagnosed back pain

About a  year ago I had neck pain so I went to a chiropractor.  I am a transmission mechanic.   It only got worse so I have been doctoring with it for over a year now with no diagnosis.   I had numbness in my legs, feet and 3 outer fingers.  I have severe pain in-between my shoulder blades.   My MRI only shows a small bugle at discs 7 & 8 and the ortho doctor says he does not think it is enough to warrant the level 10 plus pain I have.  The only medicines that work are neuradin (spelling) and vicodin for the pain.   I had severe stabbing pain before the nerve medicine finally worked.   I have been to physical therapy but it only made it worse and especially when he bends my head back it is a shooting pain.   I am very frustrated because I cannot work as a mechanic for a year now.  The only time I am able to function is when I am on the nerve medicine and the vicodin but it wears off every 3 or so hours.   My neck feels like it is grinding and popping and that when one part of my spine moves the rest does not.  The therapist says it is too rigid.  Is there some condition that this sounds like to anyone?   I cannot get a diagnosis and without that I cannot get it fixed or file for my AAFLACK insurance or unemployment.   It is very expensive to keep paying the co-pays and not be able to work and it is frustrating to not get a diagnosis.  Anyone know what I should do next or what this may be?   Thanks.  Brandon
I have simalir but in my lower back. i have had the problem since 2000 i was a jet mechanic for the navy i have not had the numbness but the grinding and stabing pain i can not stand for more than 10 min and can not lift anything without making it worse they have me on vicodin , neporxen and gabapintin and still not getting any better i have had MRI and Xrays physical theropy makes it worse and syropractor dose nothing and in 8 years they still do not know what is wrong they are now going to send me to pain clinic for cortazon injections or how ever you spell it. If you find out what is wrong please let me know
How are you feeling?
Low back pain affects up to 85% of the population at some point in their lives. Low back pain is one of the leading causes of disability in patients <50 years old.
Herniation of a lumbar disc is one of the major causes of acute and chronic lower back pain which may be associated with leg pain, weakness, and numbness, often referred to as sciatica.
Are you having symptoms of pain at lower back with referred pain to thighs and legs?
If yes, then your symptoms suggest that you might be having radiculopathy in lower limbs.
In the lumbosacral spine, radicular symptoms are caused by an intervertebral disc bulge, protrusion, extrusion, or sequestration that compresses and inflames a nerve root in approximately 98% of all cases.
Other causes of radicular symptoms emanating from the lumbosacral spine include disc osteophytes, a buckled ligamentum flavum, zygapophysial (Z)-joint hypertrophy, and there causes of lumbosacral spinal stenosis.
I think you need to see an orthopaedician at earliest and get yourself examined and get further evaluation with help of MRI.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.