Orthopedics Community
Untreated Broken Talus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Untreated Broken Talus

Hi. I have some pretty sever pain in my ankle. I am flat-footed, so I know this is in part due to that. However I know that my right foot was left untreated after being broken. When I was 11 years old I rolled my ankle pretty badly running down a hill. It swelled up to the size of a softball (which was especially big when I was that small). I wasn't on my dad's insurance and he's one of those guys who assumes every pain a kid has is just hypochondriasis. I'm not sure of all of the correct terminology for ankle/foot bones. Everyone has the large ankle bone. But the pointy little ball-like bone below and closer to the toes on my right foot is about the size of the larger ankle bone. Since my foot was still hurting at the age of 20, 9 years later, my dad let me go to the podiatrist to check it out, He siad the x-rays showed that I had broken my talus and since it was untreated, the bone grew back wrong and I have this large growth which causes some grinding of the bones in my foot and strain on my tendons because they're not made to be long enough to wrap around this growth.

He said I could get surgery, but he didn't know if it would even help. I'm 23 now and never got the surgery because I was going to college on a very hilly campus and just couldn't have made it around on crutches for two months, as the doc said would be necessary. I'm wondering if this diagnosis and treatment plan sound right to any doctors out there and if there are alternatives. I'm a waitress working my way through college so I am on my feet constantly, which causes a lot of pain. It also means it would be very expensive for me to be off my foot for 2 months. And I'm going to school to be a nurse, which means after I graduate, I will STILL be on my feet constantly. I was also wondering if this pain could be arthritic. I know untreated talus fractures can lead to arthritis. I have a pretty high pain tolerance so I figure it's possible that it could be arthritic and I am still able to work on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.