Orthopedics Community
What Causes toenails to grow in layers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

What Causes toenails to grow in layers

My husband has had both of his big toes grow toenails in layers for the last couple of yrs. He is wheelchair bound so there was no walking injury, could this be hereditary? Also if I don't keep them buffed they will continue to grow in layers.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
This would be nutritional deficieny or due to fungal infection of the nails. Go for an examination near a skin specialist to find the exact diagnosis.
Try giving calcium supplements and balanced diet as in vitamins and minerals and if it does not have any effect after couple of weeks you are advised to go to a skin specialist.
Take care!