Orthopedics Community
What can I do for my flat feet?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

What can I do for my flat feet?

7367152?1320095601
I have had flat feet ever since I can remember. I was always active growing up, playing football, baseball, and weightlifting. My feet never ever bothered me while doing the actual activity, it is always a few hours or the next day after the activity. The best way I can describe it is if somebody fused the bones in my ankle, and there is no flexibility. Even standing for hours at a time can become a challenge. I also get foot cramps where the arch in my foot is supposed to be. These cramps always happen at the worst times- riding my motorcycle, driving, etc. The spot that I feel pain is on the outside of the foot, near the ankle bone.

What I'd like to know is how severe is my particular foot? I know the shoes I wear aren't the best too. My Dad has tried to get me to wear those walk fit inserts because he swears by them....but whenever I try wearing them, I slowly increase the time I wear them, but my 'arch spot' hurts EXTREMELY bad when I wear them.

I'm attaching a photo of my foot (don't laugh, I am aware that they look like Hobbit feet...)

Thanks,
Joe
Hey Joe!

Well, without a physical examination and basic x-rays it would be difficult to determine the severity of the condition in your case. Management would essentially depend on the severity of the condition. Most cases are managed conservatively with orthotic devices such as arch supports, and foot exercises. The arch supports may cause initial discomfort and may need to be increased gradually. Surgical correction is only considered in severe cases, where it believed that conservative measures may not be effective. I would suggest consulting an orthopedician for an evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!